National Poetry Month: Poetry Books for Kids
The month of April brings so many great occurrences: Birds fly north. Bears come out of their caves after months of hibernation. Passover. Easter. April Fool’s Day. Earth Day. And, of course, National Poetry Month—established by the Academy of American Poets in 1996 to highlight the values and benefits of the inspiring art form.
Here is a list of books that exemplify the wide array of poetry available for young readers:
- A Light in the Attic Special Edition by Shel Silverstein (All Ages)
- A Boy Had a Mother Who Bought Him a Hat by Karla Kuskin (Ages 3-8)
- Fancy Nancy: Poet Extraordinaire! by Jane O’connor
- Hip Hop Dog by Chris Raschka (Ages 4-8)
- The Wonder Book by Amy Krouse Rosenthal (Ages 5-10)
- Coolhead Luke: and Other Stories by Jennifer Lasker White (Ages 5-10)
- On the Edge With Coolhead Luke by Jennifer Lasker White (Ages 5-10)
- The Tighty Whitey Spider: And More Wacky Animal Poems I Totally Made Up by Kenn Nesbitt (Ages 6-11)
- Think Again by JonArno Lawson (Ages 8-13)
- Poetry Speaks Who I Am with CD: Poems of Discovery, Inspiration, Independence, and Everything Else by Elise Paschen (Ages 10-14)
- Time You Let Me In: 25 Poets under 25 by Naomi Shihab Nye (Ages 12 and up)
Bilingual poetry books:
- Muu, Moo!: Rimas de animales/Animal Nursery Rhymes (Spanish Edition) by Alma Flor Ada (Ages 2-7)
- Once Upon a Time/Habia una vez: Traditional Latin American Tales/ Cuentos tradicionales latinoamericanos (Spanish Edition) by Rueben Martinez (Ages 5-10)
Leave us a comment: What’s your favorite children’s poetry book?
Source of books: Publishers and an author
We may receive a small commission from purchases made via the links on this page. If you discover a book or product of interest on this page and use the links provided to make a purchase, you will help support our mission to 'Grow Readers.' Your support means we can keep delivering quality content that's available to all. Thank you!