Some Days, by María Wernicke | Book Review and Giveaway
Sponsored by Two Lions | All Opinions Are Our Own
The Children’s Book Review
From an Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award nominee comes a touching story of family, security, and loss.
Grief and loss feel and look different to everyone; however, any child or adult separated from a loved one knows that some days are better than others as feelings and thoughts are processed. In this thought-provoking picture book Some Days, written and illustrated by María Wernicke, the mundane chore of hanging laundry becomes a bonding moment for a mother and daughter who seek to connect with memories and happy thoughts of a beloved lost one. Clean, crisp, and clear artwork with plenty of white space and minimal colors—grey, red, and orange—allow the reader the freedom to interpret the story and make it feel like their own. The illustrations are rendered in acrylic on paper and include sponge painting elements that bring texture, depth, and soul. Translated by Lawrence Schimel, Some Days feels like a warm hug for a broken heart. It’s beautiful!
Three (3) winners receive:
- A hardcover copy of Some Days
The giveaway begins October 28, 2020, at 12:00 PM PST and ends November 28, 2020, at 11:59 PM PST.
How To Enter
- Fill out the required fields in the form below. It may take a moment to load.
- You can also gain daily bonus entries through the entry form.
- See below for complete giveaway rules.
Written and Illustrated by María Wenicke
Translated by Lawrence Schimel
Publisher’s Synopsis: A young girl tells her mother about a passageway in their yard. Down this passageway, it is not cold, there is no danger, and nothing bad can ever happen—and the person she longs for is with her again. The only problem is that, on some days, the passageway is not there. But maybe, together, mother and daughter can find a way to carry that feeling with them always.
First published in Argentina, this lovely picture book will tug on the heartstrings of anyone who knows what it means to miss a loved one.
Ages 6-8 | Publisher: Amazon Crossing Kids | 978-1542022514
Buy the Book
About the Author-Illustrator
María Wernicke is an award-winning Argentinian author and illustrator of children’s books. She is a 2020 Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award nominee. Her illustrations have been part of multiple international exhibits, including at the Bratislava Biennial exhibition and the Bologna Children’s Book Fair, among others.
About the Translator
Lawrence Schimel is a bilingual author and translator, with more than one hundred books to his credit. His children’s books have won a Crystal Kite Award from the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, and have been selected for lists of outstanding titles by the International Board on Books for Young People. His translated books include Wanda Gàg’s Millions of Cats and George Takei’s graphic novel They Called Us Enemy, among many others. He lives in Madrid, Spain.
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER TO WIN.
- Complete and submit the entry form pursuant to the on-screen instructions listed here.
- Enter between 12:00 AM Mountain Time on October 28, 2020, and 11:59 PM on November 28, 2020.
- One (1) winner receives:
- A hardcover copy of Some Days
- Winners will be selected at random on or about December 1, 2020. The odds of winning will depend upon the total number of eligible entries received.
- Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, who are thirteen years of age or older in their state or territory of residence at the time of entry. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
- Important Notice: You may be charged for visiting the mobile website in accordance with the terms of your service agreement with your carrier.
- The prize(s) that may be awarded to the eligible winner(s) are not transferable, redeemable for cash, or exchangeable for any other prize. Participants must provide valid and accurate contact information. If a winner cannot be contacted or is disqualified for any reason, The Children’s Book Review reserves the right to determine an alternate winner or not to award that winner’s prize, in its sole discretion.
- The Children’s Book Review is not responsible for undeliverable, lost, delayed, misdirected, or misaddressed email or any other issues regarding the electronic delivery of the contest form. This includes, but is not limited to, the speed at which your email service routes email through the internet. The sole determiner of eligibility for the final drawing will be the time the email or entry form is received at our offices.
- The Children’s Book Review is not responsible for prize fulfillment. Prizes courtesy of the sponsor: Two Lions.
Thank you for entering the Some Days book giveaway. To see what other children’s books and swag may be up for grabs, visit our Book Giveaways page.
We may receive a small commission from purchases made via the links on this page. If you discover a book or product of interest on this page and use the links provided to make a purchase, you will help support our mission to 'Grow Readers.' Your support means we can keep delivering quality content that's available to all. Thank you!