Giveaway: Testing the Ice: A True Story About Jackie Robinson
“In the early 1950s, legendary baseball hero Jackie Robinson literally “tested the ice” for his kids who so eagerly wanted to skate on the frozen lake near their home. Under Sharon Robinson’s skillful authorship and Kadir Nelson’s vivid illustrations, TESTING THE ICE also becomes a stunning metaphor for her father’s remarkable racial breakthrough.”
Thanks to Scholastic, we have a wonderful Testing the Ice prize pack to giveaway, as well as four additional copies of the book. You can find out how to enter, below.
Reading level: Ages 9-12
Hardcover: 40 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Press; 1 edition (October 1, 2009)
Publisher’s synopsis: When Jackie Robinson retires from baseball and moves his family to Connecticut, the beautiful lake on their property is the center of everyone’s fun. The neighborhood children join the Robinson kids for swimming and boating. But oddly, Jackie never goes near the water.
In a dramatic episode that first winter, the children beg to go ice skating on the lake. Jackie says they can go–but only after he tests the ice to make sure it’s safe. The children prod and push to get Jackie outside, until hesitantly, he finally goes. Like a blind man with a stick, (contd.)
Jackie taps on the ice’s surface, when suddenly howling and roaring sounds come out of the lake! It is only then that Sharon realizes why she’s never seen her father in the water — Jackie doesn’t know how to swim! But her horror changes to relief as Jackie bravely taps his way to the middle of the lake — and declare it safe!
In a stunning metaphor for Jackie Robinson’s legendary breaking of the color barrier in Major League Baseball, Sharon Robinson honors her extraordinary father’s memory with her warm graceful storytelling. Two-time Caldecott Honor Book artist Kadir Nelson has created richly rendered paintings that radiate with the beauty and spirit of one of America’s finest heroes.
One (1) winner will receive a TESTING THE ICE prize pack!
- Kidorable Hat, Glove & Scarf set
- A copy of Testing the Ice
The grand prize pack is valued at $52.99
Four (4) winners will receive a copy of TESTING THE ICE.
The books are valued at $16.99 each
Here is what you have to do to enter (maximum entries, 3):
- Leave your name and a message in the comments field below. If you are one of the lucky winners, you will be contacted via e-mail.
- An extra entry will be given for each time you twitter about the giveaway and/or blog about it. You will need to paste the link in a separate comment to make this entry valid. Click here to follow me on Twitter.
- Don’t forget to leave your contact information with your comment — a valid e-mail address is a must.
- Shipping Guidelines: The Testing the Ice book promotion is open to participants with a United States mailing address only (international readers can enter if they have a friend in the States who can accept their prizes by mail!)
- The contest will run October 27, 2009 – November 18, 2009, with the winners being drawn November 19. Administrator’s computer is the official time keeping device for the Giveaway. Winners will be picked at random using a random sequence generator (your comments are numbered in the order they are received and the numbers are like raffle tickets drawn from a hat). Winners have 72hrs to claim their prize. Unclaimed prizes will be awarded to an alternate winner.
- Comment away!
Disclaimer: Books will be shipped directly from Scholastic, delivery of the giveaway item lies solely on the sponsor. Names, e-mail address and physical addresses of all winners will be shared with Scholastic for the purpose of fulfillment of the giveaway.
We may receive a small commission from purchases made via the links on this page. If you discover a book or product of interest on this page and use the links provided to make a purchase, you will help support our mission to 'Grow Readers.' Your support means we can keep delivering quality content that's available to all. Thank you!