The Texas Book Festival: October 16-17, 2010
Austin, TX, September 14, 2010 – The schedule for the Texas Book Festival is available online. Celebrating 15 years, the Book Festival takes place on October 16 and 17 in and around the Texas State Capitol and nearby venues. Finding authors, locations and times will be a snap with the first ever Texas Book Festival IPhone App sponsored by Kirkus Reviews. The free IPhone App is due out early October.
Austin native Lance Letscher is the Festival’s 2010 featured poster artist and author. The poster includes original collage and images from his new children’s book The Perfect Machine.
Headlining non-fiction authors will be in the C-SPAN/Book TV Tent on Congress between 9th and 10th streets. Kicking off the Festival on Saturday morning is former First Lady, TBF founder and author Laura W. Bush who is scheduled for 10 a.m. CST in the Paramount Theatre.
The Book Festival is free and fun for all ages. 2010 Festival topics include civil rights, Tejano leadership in Texas, the drug wars, capital punishment, green energy, President Obama, American business titans, famous fugitives, civilizing the West and the life of Jack London. The Cooking Tent sponsored by Central Market will overflow with cooking demonstrations and discussions. Geared especially for young adults are sessions titled Is the World Ready for My Book? and Coming of Age in a Difficult Age, among many others, including a special Saturday night Zombies vs. Unicorns showdown.
The youngest readers will enjoy the Children’s Chapter, sponsored by HEB, which includes the Children’s Reading tent, the Children’s Entertainment tent, and the Children’s Activity tent. Special guests and panels include: Funny Business: Good Reads for Guys, True Grit: Kids with Chutzpah and a panel on Portals to Imagined Worlds, musician Joe McDermott and visits by the Fairy Godmother Academy, Olivia, Curious George, Clifford and the Cat in the Hat.
Sponsors include: Austin American-Statesman, AT&T, Barnes & Noble, Brigid Cockrum & Family, Central Market, HEB, Kirkus Reviews, KLBJ-AM/KGSR-FM, KLRU, KUT 90.5, Texas Monthly, Pearson Education, Sibley Peteet Design, and others.
Interested in volunteering or attending the gala on October 15? Or to see the complete list of authors, schedule and more visit texasbookfestival.org.
The Children’s Schedule
Celebrating children’s literature for kids of all ages with engaging presentations from award-winning picture book and middle grade authors. Three-time Caldecott winner David Wiesner, Llama Llama author Anna Dewdney, Bonny Becker, National Book Award Finalist Laurie Halse Anderson, and T.A. Barron are just a few of the stars you’ll see in venues throughout the Children’s Chapter. Costumed characters, live music, and hands-on activities make this a favorite destination at the Festival.
Saturday, October 16, 2010
- David Wiesner, Art & Max: Read Me a Story Tent
- Hand To Mouth Puppets: Children’s Entertainment Tent
- Laurie Halse Anderson, Forge: *Family Life Center
- Walter T. and The Rated G’s: Children’s Entertainment Tent
- Peter Brown, Children Make Terrible Pets: Read Me a Story Tent
- Lupe Ruiz Flores, The Battle of the Snow Cones: Read Me a Story Tent
- Funny Business: Good Reads for Guys with Michael Buckley, John Gosselink, Josh Lewis, and Dr. Cuthbert Soup: *Family Life Center
- Monica Brown & Magaly Morales, Chavela and the Magic Bubble: Read Me a Story Tent
- Joe McDermott: Children’s Entertainment Tent
- Central Texas Writing Project: Read Me a Story Tent
- Where I Come From (and How It Got Me Here)with Naomi Mitchell Carrier, Jennifer Cervantes, Xavier Garza, and Ingrid Law: *Family Life Center
- Badgerdog: Youth Voices in Ink: Children’s Entertainment Tent
- Bonny Becker, A Bedtime for Bear: Read Me a Story Tent
- Keith Graves, Chicken Big Read Me a Story Tent
- Chaski Children’s: Entertainment Tent
- Tomás Rivera Awards with Carmen Tafolla and Magaly Morales: Read Me a Story Tent
- True Grit: Kids with Chutzpah with Carolyn Cohagan, Lisa Railsback, and Sara Pennypacker: *Family Life Center
- Bob Shea, Dinosaur vs the Potty: Read Me a Story Tent
- Texas Bluebonnet Master List Announcement Party: Read Me a Story Tent
- Lance Letscher, The Perfect Machine: Read Me a Story Tent
- Meg Cabot, Allie Finkle’s Rules for Girls: Blast from the Past: *The Sanctuary
- T.A. Barron, Merlin’s Dragon: Ultimate Magic: *Family Life Center
- Hand to Mouth Puppet Theater: Children’s Activity Tent
* First United Methodist Church
Sunday, October 17, 2010
- Magician Kent Cummins Children’s: Entertainment Tent
- Portals to Imagined Worlds with Cinda Williams Chima, Carolyn Cohagan, Ingrid Law, and Brian Yansky: Capitol Extension Room E2.012
- Chris Barton, Shark vs Train: Read Me a Story Tent
- Anna Dewdney, Llama Llama Holiday Drama: Read Me a Story Tent
- Alan Birkelbach, Smurglets are Everywhere: Read Me a Story Tent
- Doug Kennedy, My Friends the Flowers: Read Me a Story Tent
- Mr. Johnny & Sharon: Children’s Entertainment Tent
- Tim Tingle, Saltypie: Read Me a Story Tent
- Duncan Tonatiuh, Dear Primo: A Letter to my Cousin: Read Me a Story Tent
- Tony DiTerlizzi, The Search for WondLa: Capitol Auditorium E1.004
- Cynthia Leitich Smith, Holler Loudly: Read Me a Story Tent
- Carmen Tafolla & Magaly Morales, What Can You Do with a Paleta?: Read Me a Story Tent
- Jan Bozarth, Fairy Godmother Academy: Zally’s Book: Children’s Entertainment Tent
- M.T. Anderson, Agent Q, or the Smell of Danger!: Capitol Auditorium E1.004
- Holly Black, White Cat: Capitol Auditorium E1.004
For more information, visit http://www.texasbookfestival.org/.