5 Picture Books to Inspire Summer Adventures
Sponsored by Two Lions
Lauren Kerstein | The Children’s Book Review | May 21, 2019
The lure of summer is so strong—almost like a living, breathing, palpable force. Endless days of sunshine, adventures, and courageous firsts stretch ahead of us as we inch our way to this magical time. The following books remind me of the promise that exists between the rising and setting sun, the too-hot for your feet pavement, and the cool, crisp chlorine-filled water. They also capture the joy of trying new things, being who you want to be, and the beauty in nature.
I wish you a summer filled with courageous firsts, creative endeavors, and satisfying adventures.
Written and Illustrated by Gaia Cornwall
Jabari wants to jump off the diving board but first he needs to plan his special jump, and then he needs to stretch. When Jabari finally faces his fears, he shows us how wonderful conquering our fears can really be. This is the perfect summer reminder that trying new things can be incredibly rewarding.
Ages 4-8 | Publisher: Candlewick | May 9, 2017 | ISBN-13: 978-0763678388
Written and Illustrated by Ashley Spires
I distinctly remember mixing perfume from flower petals, digging in the dirt for “dinosaur bones,” and making mud creations as a child. Ashley Spires shows us that our imagination can lead us on adventures to unexpected places. Summer is the ideal time to create something magnificent!
Ages 3-7 | Publisher: Kids Can Press | April 1, 2014 | ISBN-13: 978-1554537044
Written and Illustrated by Peter Brown
Digging in the dirt, nurturing plants, and spending time outdoors are three of my favorite ways to spend a summer day! Peter Brown highlights the ways in which caring, sunshine, and love can literally transform the world. Summer is the perfect time to plant a seed and see what happens. You never know, your planting efforts just might brighten a whole city!
Ages 5-6 | Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers | April 1, 2014 | ISBN-13: 978-0316015479
Written by Kwame Alexander
Illustrated by Daniel Miyares
Kwame Alexander and Daniel Miyares explore a story within a story on a lovely summer trip to the beach. They remind us that adventures take place in lots of forms, and that books, imagination, and summer sun are a wonderful combination. Daniel’s vivid illustrations and Kwame’s powerful text make the reader feel like they’re right there with Bro and Dude on a fantastic adventure!
Ages 4-8 | Publisher: NorthSouth Books | February 1, 2016 | ISBN-13: 978-0735842205
Written and Illustrated by Eric Carle
This is an older book that was published in 1995, but it will always be one of my favorite summertime reads. I grew up in New Jersey where fireflies magically lit up summer nights. I will always remember muggy evenings where I watched fireflies cast their spells like magical and mysterious fairies in the darkness. I loved reading this story to my girls when they were young, even though they’d never seen a firefly in Colorado
Ages 2-5 | Publisher: Philomel Books | June 1, 1995 | ISBN-13: 978-0399227745
About Lauren Kerstein
Lauren H. Kerstein is an author and psychotherapist. She is a Jersey girl at heart who, as a child, loved underwater handstands and slurping cherry Italian ice at the pool. Lauren currently lives in Colorado with her husband, Josh; their dragons…er, daughters, Sarah and Danielle; and Hudson, the dog. Learn more about the author at www.LaurenKerstein.net.
Written by Lauren H. Kerstein
Illustrated by Nate Wragg
Publisher’s Synopsis: It’s summertime, and you’re invited for a rollicking day at the pool with Charlie and his pet dragon (and best friend!), Rosie. But be careful—swimming with a dragon can be, um, challenging. As Rosie and Charlie blow bubbles (don’t forget your umbrella!), practice flutter kicks (watch out for tidal waves!), and offer shoulder rides (hang on tight!), Rosie proves that dragons make the most fun pets ever. Now if only Charlie can keep Rosie’s attention focused on the rules at the pool and NOT on her gummy snacks (you know, the ones that cause stinky dragon breath!)…Grab your towels and sunscreen and join Rosie and Charlie for a fun-filled summer adventure!
Ages 3-7 | Publisher: Two Lions | January 29, 2019 |ISBN-13: 978-1542042925
Praise for Rosie the Dragon and Charlie Make Waves
“The digital illustrations are bright, playful, and attractive, well suited to the story…There are some young dragon lovers and fans of mischief who will revel in this silly romp.” —Kirkus Reviews
“Kerstein’s playful story about friendship, patience, and responsibility for a pet is nicely matched by Wragg’s bold, colorful illustrations, rendered in blocky shapes and a vivid color palette. New pet owners are the natural choice for this one, but kids with younger siblings might appreciate it, too.” – Booklist
Enter for a chance to win a copy of Rosie the Dragon and Charlie Make Waves!
Three (3) winners receive:
- A copy of Rosie the Dragon and Charlie Make Waves
Giveaway begins May 21, 2019 at 12:01 A.M. MT and ends June 21, 2019 at 11:59 P.M. MT.
How To Enter
- Complete the entry form below.
- Enter once daily (optional).
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER TO WIN.
- Rosie the Dragon and Charlie Make Waves book giveaway sponsored by Two Lions (Amazon Publishing)
- Enter between 12:00 AM Mounatin Time on May 21, 2019 and 11:59 PM on June 21, 2019.
- Go to https://www.thechildrensbookreview.com/weblog/2019/03/five-family-favorites-with-wendi-silvano-author-of-turkeys-eggcellent-easter.html on a computer or wireless device and complete and submit the entry form pursuant to the on-screen instructions.
- Three (3) winners receive: A copy of Rosie the Dragon and Charlie Make Waves
- Odds of winning will depend upon the total number of eligible entries received. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
- Winners will be selected at random on or about June 17, 2019.
- Important Notice: You may be charged for visiting the mobile website in accordance with the terms of your service agreement with your carrier.
- Open to the legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, who are thirteen years of age or older in their state or territory of residence at time of entry. Void in Puerto Rico and where prohibited by law.
- The Children’s Book Review is not responsible for prize fulfillment.
- Prize courtesy of Two Lions (Amazon Publishing).
Lauren Kerstein, author of Rosie the Dragon and Charlie Make Waves, selected these five family favorites. Discover more articles on The Children’s Book Review tagged with Picture Books, Summer, and Summer Reading.