Gifts for Writers, Bookworms, Book Club Friends, and All Lovers of Literature
The Children’s Book Review | December 11, 2019
Are you looking for some gift ideas for the writer, bookworm, book club friends, or the lover of literature in your life? The following are some of our personal favorite finds!
Created by Book Riot
Publisher’s Synopsis: Each of the 50 cards in this conversation deck is printed with two reading-themed questions (100 questions total). Some invoke books that are tied to memories (name your favorite childhood picture book); others prompt you to choose ideal reading material for a hypothetical situation (if you were stranded on a desert island, what book would you want with you?). Some of them aim to get people comparing their favorite (and not-so-favorite) characters or authors, and others engage in popular debates amongst readers (name a movie adaptation you liked and defend your choice). Created to give readers of all persuasions an excuse to talk about books, ideas, and life itself, this deck is a great addition to any booklover’s shelf.
Buy the Cards
All Ages | Publisher: Harry N. Abrams | 2017 | ISBN-13: 978-1419727689
Created by Knock Knock
- For a bibliophile, there’s no greater pleasure than sharing beloved books, but no crueler pain than losing them for good-until the Personal Library Kit
- Revive old-fashioned library circulation techniques for fun and book retention with our classic bestseller
- The perfect gift for the generous reader
- Even better looking
- 6 x 7.5 x 1.25 inches; 20 self-adhesive pockets and checkout cards; date stamp and inkpad; pencil
Buy the Kit
Ages 5-100+ | Publisher: Knock Knock | 2001 | ASIN: 1601060726
Publisher’s Synopsis: Add a touch of class to your poker table with Genius Writers, featuring some of the most exciting literary figures of the 20th and 21st centuries.
Fifty–four writers from the last 100 years have been chosen from the following periods: Modern, Mid–Century, Postmodern, Contemporary. Marcel George’s stunning watercolor portraits of writers of fiction ensure that even if you don’t win, you’re in good company. Genius Writers can be used in exactly the same way as regular playing cards. Each suit features a group of writers from history with numbers and court cards, including two jokers.
Buy the Cards
Ages 12+ | Publisher: Laurence King Publishing | 2019 | ISBN-13: 978-1786274977
Written by Pamela Paul and Maria Russo
Publisher’s Synopsis: An indispensable guide to welcoming children—from babies to teens—to a lifelong love of reading, written by Pamela Paul and Maria Russo, editors of The New York Times Book Review.
Do you remember your first visit to where the wild things are? How about curling up for hours on end to discover the secret of the Sorcerer’s Stone? Combining clear, practical advice with inspiration, wisdom, tips, and curated reading lists, How to Raise a Reader shows you how to instill the joy and time-stopping pleasure of reading.
Divided into four sections, from baby through teen, and each illustrated by a different artist, this book offers something useful on every page, whether it’s how to develop rituals around reading or build a family library, or ways to engage a reluctant reader. A fifth section, “More Books to Love: By Theme and Reading Level,” is chockful of expert recommendations. Throughout, the authors debunk common myths, assuage parental fears, and deliver invaluable lessons in a positive and easy-to-act-on way.
Buy the Book
Caregivers | Publisher: Workman Publishing Company | 2019 | ISBN-13: 978-1523505302
Created by Laurence King Publishing
- Piece together the world of Shakespeare in this art jigsaw puzzle depicting the London of his day
- Spot a huge cast of contemporary extras as A Midsummer Night’s Dream is rehearsed at the Globe and fellow actors wander the streets, along with local characters who may well have provided the Bard with inspiration
- From lovers ascending ladders and bears being baited to tavern brawls and summer fairs, there is something to delight in every detail
Buy the Puzzle
Ages 10+ | Publisher: Laurence King Publishing | 2019 | ISBN-13: 9781786274250
Created by Chronicle Books
- Unique creative game: haikubes is a set of 63 word cubes that is attractive enough to display on the coffee table.
- Play alone or with a group: this game is perfect for individual inspiration or as an after-dinner game with friends or family.
- Easy to play: simply roll the cubes and use the words that come up to create an expressive Haiku. Includes two cubes with inspirational cues to help guide the Haiku.
- Great for teachers: haikubes can be incorporated into lesson plans to teach Haiku in a fun and interactive way.
- Powerhouse creator: everyone’s a poet with this game from the team behind Cranium.
Buy the Dice
Ages 8+ | Publisher: Chronicle Books | ASIN: 0811869385
Created by Gamewright
- Rory’s Story Cubes is a pocket-sized creative story generator, providing hours of imaginative play for all ages
- 1 or more players
- Reinforces artistic expression
- Ages 8 and up
- Playing time: 15 minutes
Buy the Game
Ages 8+ | Publisher: Gamewright | ASIN: B003EIK136
Written by Bianca Schulze
Publisher’s Synopsis: 101 Books to Read Before You Grow Up provides a comprehensive list of kid-friendly books for children to read before they grow up. This must-read review list acts as an interactive journal where kids can document the books they read, why they like them, and how they rate them. Divided into sections by subject, from fairy tales and fantasy to sports and nonfiction, 101 Books to Read Before You Grow Up celebrates the importance of reading and encourages family participation to develop lifelong readers. The perfect reference guide for book lovers of all ages, 101 Books to Read Before You Grow Up helps both kids and parents decide which books to read next!
Buy the Book
Ages 5-11 | Walter Foster Jr. | 2016 | 978-1633221697
The article Gifts for Writers, Bookworms, and All Lovers of Literature was curated by Bianca Schulze. For similar books and articles, follow along with our content tagged with Holiday Gift Guide Kids Books.