My Writing and Reading Life with Maureen Wright, Author of Super Rooster Saves the Day
Maureen Wright is the author of several popular picture books, including Sleep, Big Bear, Sleep!, Sneeze, Big Bear, Sneeze!, and Share, Big Bear, Share!, all illustrated by Will Hillenbrand; the Amazon bestseller Sneezy the Snowman, illustrated by Stephen Gilpin; and Anna and the Tooth Fairy, illustrated by Anna Chernyshova. She lives with her husband, Don, in Athens, Pennsylvania. Here we get to know all about her writing and reading life, as well as her new picture book Super Rooster Saves the Day—a hilarious farmyard romp!
I write because …
It is my favorite thing to do. I love when I have a story idea that I’m excited about. The first thing I want to do when I get up in the morning is work on my story, and it is the last thing I do at night. If I go through a period of time without writing, I feel like I’m missing someone, but I don’t know who it is. Then I realize that it is the act of writing that I miss.
I read because …
It is fun to escape and go to other places in my mind with the characters in books.
I wrote this book because …
My editor was looking for a superhero book. I live out in the country and I always chuckle when I hear a “teenage” rooster crow. It is such a funny attempt at crowing. I guess this was the inspiration for the rooster character, Ralph, in my book.
Best moment was when …
A first grader wrote me a letter that said, “You taught me to be brave.” I have it framed in my home. I always tell children not to give up on their dreams and I explain that it took me twenty years of trying to get my first book published.
My special place to write is …
On my sofa with one of my cats. It doesn’t matter which cat, Squirt or Willie.
Necessary writing/creativity tool …
The person who has been my greatest writing teacher or inspiration is …
My husband, who always encouraged me to keep trying.
Currently reading …
A mystery suspense novel.
Favorite bookshop …
Is any used book sale.
All-time favorite children’s book I didn’t write is …
BARNYARD DANCE by Sandra Boynton. I had never read that book before. I was babysitting for a friend. I picked up the book and read it out loud. I had so much fun reading it and laughing that I barely noticed the nine-month old crawling out the door into the hallway. I went home that day and started writing rhyming picture book manuscripts.
Favorite illustrator is …
Michael Garland. He illustrated GRANDPA’S TRACTOR. I love it because many of the scenes could be from outside my kitchen window and my grandsons love to ride on Grandpa’s tractor.
A literary character I would like to vacation with is …
The Big Friendly Giant in Roald Dahl’s book, THE BFG. Just think how fast the BFG could take you across the country to your destination! Want to go to the top of the Empire State Building? He’d lift you up in a jiffy. Want to explore the bottom of The Grand Canyon? No problem!
When I am not reading or writing I am …
Volunteering at church or our local nursing home.
Learn more about the author at www.maureenwright.org.
Written by Maureen Wright
Publisher’s Synopsis: Ralph the rooster has big dreams of becoming a superhero. But the other farm animals aren’t so sure—except for Rosie the pig, that is. She’s Ralph’s best friend, and she believes in him. As Ralph and Rosie hang around the farm, there are just no opportunities to be a superhero and save the day…until the farmer turns on the radio, and the “Chicken Dance” song starts playing. POW-WOW! Suddenly it seems that Ralph may have some super powers after all…or does he? Join Ralph and Rosie as they prove that believing in yourself and being a good friend is what makes a true superhero.
Ages 4-8 | Publisher: Two Lions | ISBN-13: 978-1542007788
Buy the Book
Enter for a chance to win a copy of Super Rooster Saves the Day!
Three (3) lucky winners receive:
- A copy of Super Rooster Saves the Day!
Giveaway begins October 7, 2020, at 12:00 PM PST and ends November 7, 2020, at 11:59 PM PST.
How To Enter
- Fill out the required fields in the form below.
- You can also gain daily bonus entries.
- See the giveaway rules below.
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER TO WIN.
- Super Rooster Saves the Day book giveaway sponsored by Two Lions.
- Enter between 12:00 AM Mountain Time on October 7, 2020, and 11:59 PM on November 7, 2020.
- Visit this page (https://www.thechildrensbookreview.com/2020/10/my-writing-and-reading-life-with-maureen-wright-author-of-super-rooster-to-the-rescue) on a computer or wireless device and complete and submit the entry form pursuant to the on-screen instructions.
- Three (3) winners receive:
- A copy of Super Rooster Saves the Day
- A copy of Super Rooster Saves the Day
- Odds of winning will depend upon the total number of eligible entries received. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
- Winners will be selected at random on or about November 10, 2020.
- Important Notice: You may be charged for visiting the mobile website in accordance with the terms of your service agreement with your carrier.
- Open to the legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, who are thirteen years of age or older in their state or territory of residence at the time of entry. Void in Puerto Rico and where prohibited by law.
- The Children’s Book Review is not responsible for prize fulfillment.
- Prizes courtesy of Two Lions.
Discover more books like Super Rooster Saves the Day, written by Maureen Wright and illustrated by Rob McClurkan, by checking out our reviews and articles tagged with Chickens, Farm Animals, Friendship, Maureen Wright, and Superhero books; plus, be sure to follow along with our Writing and Reading Life series.
We may receive a small commission from purchases made via the links on this page. If you discover a book or product of interest on this page and use the links provided to make a purchase, you will help support our mission to 'Grow Readers.' Your support means we can keep delivering quality content that's available to all. Thank you!