Super Why!: Jack and the Beanstalk and Other Story Book Adventures
Studio: PBS (DIRECT)
DVD Release Date: July 28, 2009
Run Time: 100 mins
Super Why! is a clever 3-D animated series that focuses on fundamental reading skills. It’s perfect for kids between 3- and 6-years-old, and a great way to smuggle some learning into T.V. time — deceptively intelligent!
This particular Super Why! DVD is a collection of four different well known fairy tales: Jack and the Beanstalk, the Princess and the Pea, Little Red Riding Hood, and theThree Little Pigs. Children that are already familiar with the traditional tales will enjoy using literacy skills to solve the adventurous mysteries that each Super Why! episode brings. And for those that will be introduced to the classic tales for the first time, it’s the perfect induction. The “Super Readers” (alter egos of the leading characters: Whyatt Beanstalk, Jack’s younger brother; Red, from Little Red Riding Hood; Pig, from the Three Little Pigs; and Princess, from The Princess and the Pea) teach the viewers that by reading words you can control the story. This means that the “Big Bad Wolf” can become the “Small Good Wolf”.
There is a strong focus on letter recognition and their associated sounds, spelling, and comprehension, making the Super Why! series a great way to encourage kids to read for pleasure and harvest their inner super hero … “Super You!”
· Jack and the Beanstalk
· Princess and the Pea
· The Three Little Pigs
· Little Red Riding Hood
· Interactive Games
· Music Videos
· Printable Activities and Coloring Pages
· Resources for Parents
- To create lifelong readers who are motivated to read for pleasure and information
- To teach abstract, high order reading skills such as making inferences through theme comprehension
- To stress to parents and caregivers the importance of reading to their children
- To help young children learn key reading skills and strategies for using these skills
- To surround children with literacy learning opportunities in all aspects of their lives
- To provide practice with reading skills through interactive stories and literacy-based games
Check out this Web site: http://pbskids.org/superwhy/
Tools for Parents and Teachers: http://pbskids.org/superwhy/parentsteachers/index.html
We may receive a small commission from purchases made via the links on this page. If you discover a book or product of interest on this page and use the links provided to make a purchase, you will help support our mission to 'Grow Readers.' Your support means we can keep delivering quality content that's available to all. Thank you!