Prizes and samples provided by Sounds True
The Children’s Book Review | June 23, 2016
Enter to win a copy of Growing Up Mindful: Essential Practices to Help Children, Teens, and Families Find Balance, Calm, and Resilience, by Christopher Willard, PsyD.
Five (5) winners receive:
- A copy of Growing Up Mindful: Essential Practices to Help Children, Teens, and Families Find Balance, Calm, and Resilience
Age Range: Adult Non-Fiction
Giveaway begins June 23, 2016, at 12:01 A.M. PST and ends July 23, 2016, at 11:59 P.M. PST.
Growing Up Mindful: Essential Practices to Help Children, Teens, and Families Find Balance, Calm, and Resilience
Written by Christopher Willard, PsyD
Publisher’s Synopsis: Introducing mindfulness into the lives of our children and teenagers is perhaps the greatest gift we can offer. Mindfulness builds emotional intelligence, boosts happiness, increases curiosity and engagement, reduces anxiety and depression, soothes the pain of trauma, and helps kids (and adults) focus, learn, and make better choices. If that weren’t enough, research now shows that mindfulness significantly enhances what psychologists call “flourishing”—the opposite of depression and avoidance.
Growing Up Mindful helps parents, educators, and counselors learn how to embody and share the skills of mindfulness that will empower our children with resilience throughout their lives. With more than 75 accessible exercises and practices, along with adaptations for the individual needs of a wide range of children and teens, this inspiring guidebook brings you road-tested insights and tools for:
• Tapping the power of the imagination, play, and creativity
• Body-based mindfulness and movement practices
• Creatively overcoming resistance and gaining kids’ buy-in
• The mindful use of technology and social media
• Building the foundation through your own personal practice
• “Attending” and “Befriending”—two positive responses to stress
• Setting intentions and managing expectations of new practitioners
• Sharing mindfulness in a formal setting including schools and workplaces
• Extending our practice into the larger communities we share
“Seeds of mindfulness can be planted in anyone at any time—seeds that under the right conditions can burst and bloom into a life of compassion and connection,” writes Dr. Willard. Growing Up Mindful invites you to “embark on something incredible and world-changing” as you join the growing community of adults bringing wonder, curiosity, and reflection back into childhood and adolescence.
Adults | Publisher: Sounds True | 2016 | ISBN-13: 978-1622035908
About Christopher Willard, PsyD
Christopher Willard, PsyD, is a clinical psychologist and consultant specializing in bringing mindfulness into education and psychotherapy. He teaches at Harvard Medical School and Lesley University, and is the author of Growing Up Mindful: Essential Practices to Help Children, Teens, and Families Find Balance, Calm, and Resilience(Sounds True, June 2016). You can find him at http://drchristopherwillard.com and on Twitter at @drchriswillard.
Read this great article: How Kids Can Learn About Mindfulness with Fun, Easy Activities
How to Enter
- Complete the entry form below.
- Enter once daily (optional).
- This book giveaway is open to participants in the United States and Canada.
- Name, e-mail address and physical address of the winner will be shared with the sponsor for the purpose of giveaway fulfillment only.
- Odds of winning depends upon the number of entries received.
Prizes courtesy of Sounds True Books.
Thank you for entering the Growing Up Mindful book giveaway, sponsored by Sounds True Books. Check out our sweepstakes page to see what other free children’s books may be up for grabs!
We may receive a small commission from purchases made via the links on this page. If you discover a book or product of interest on this page and use the links provided to make a purchase, you will help support our mission to 'Grow Readers.' Your support means we can keep delivering quality content that's available to all. Thank you!